Fast ideas / notes in regards to the New England Patriots and NFL:
1. What’s subsequent after testing Cam ?: Quarterback Cam Newton’s optimistic check for the coronavirus begs a query of what is subsequent for the Patriots. Listed here are some key factors:
Newton is the crew’s solely optimistic check, however that does not imply issues cannot change rapidly. Each participant, coach and worker who was in shut contact with Newton obtained a point-of-care check on Saturday morning, which got here again adverse. Nevertheless, because of the incubation interval of the virus, it’s nonetheless potential that assessments for these gamers, coaches and workers will come again optimistic later. So the every day testing will proceed and these outcomes will add necessary context as to if it’s a single participant state of affairs or a potential breakout.
Due to this uncertainty, the subsequent 24 to 48 hours will decide whether or not this week’s sport in opposition to the Chiefs will even be performed. Each groups’ amenities are reportedly closed till Sunday.
There’s additionally a human aspect to think about. After all, when speaking with some crew members, there are issues about potential journey to Kansas Metropolis and which gamers would possibly carry their households again to their properties upon their return.
From a medical perspective, an necessary context is whether or not Newton is asymptomatic. On this case, he can return after 5 days with two consecutive adverse assessments separated by 24 hours. If not, his absence might be a minimum of 10 days, which means he would additionally miss the October 11 house sport in opposition to the Denver Broncos.
At their Saturday evening assembly, the gamers and coaches had been advised to arrange for Monday, ESPN’s Dianna Russini reported. Touring on sport day wasn’t very best, but it surely was a part of these conversations.
Dan Orlovsky responds to Cam Newton testing optimistic for COVID-19 and discusses who New England ought to contact subsequent on the quarterback.
2. 4 QBs a rarity: Veteran Brian Hoyer is now within the highlight as Hoyer serves because the No. 2 quarterback for the primary three weeks of the season. Additionally, fourth spherical 2019 Jarrett Stidham might be added to the listing of matchdays for the primary time this season, with coaching crew sign caller Jake Dolegala transferring as much as the third shift. It’s uncommon for the Patriots to have 4 quarterbacks between their squad and the coaching crew as there are often not sufficient reps to go round. Nevertheless, throughout the pandemic, common routines usually tend to be disrupted. And as coach Invoice Belichick mentioned this season, he feels fortunate to have depth there.
3. Historic loss: The Patriots lose rather a lot with out Newton, particularly in terms of the quarterback menace as a key issue within the ongoing assault. Needless to say Newton’s 35 rush makes an attempt in three video games have by no means been reached within the Tremendous Bowl period. The earlier excessive had been 33, from Washington’s Robert Griffin III (2012), Minnesota’s Daunte Culpepper (2000) and Chicago’s Bobby Douglass (1973).
4. Michels Well being: Sony Michel can’t take a break. After recovering from low season foot surgical procedure and having a breakout sport in opposition to the Las Vegas Raiders final Sunday that included the 2 longest runs of his profession (48 and 38 yards), he is been on a quad bike all week restricted in coaching. Michel was supposed to talk to reporters on Thursday, but it surely by no means occurred, which is often not a very good signal.
5. The return of white: James White, who returned to the crew on Wednesday for the primary time since Sept. 20 when his father Tyrone was killed in a automobile accident, is predicted to put on uniform and fill his common position as a key a part of the Patriots’ offense. It is going to be White’s 80th common season sport, and he competes with 24 landing receptions. This places him in one of the best place to beat Brian Westbrook’s file for working again and hit the 25-TD receiving mark the quickest (87 video games). White’s first media interview is predicted to happen after the sport.
6. Flags do not fly: With no preseason video games, one mindset was that taking part in preseason can be sloppy. However the offense of the patriots has developed in the other way. Coordinator Josh McDaniels’ unit didn’t commit a single punishment. That is the primary time in Belichick’s 21-year tenure that the Patriots Offensive has performed three video games in a row with out a flag. General, the Patriots are the least punished crew within the league up to now, with a complete of seven penalties.
7. Greatest 5 on the O-line: The Patriots ‘determination final week to maneuver left safety guard Joe Thuney to the middle to fill David Andrews’ void whereas placing rookie Mike Onwenu in as left safety guard mirrored going with the highest 5 offensive linemen as a substitute to clog a sure level. It will possibly generally occur that groups are reluctant to take this path as a result of they’re involved about disturbing two locations up entrance. But it surely confirmed how excessive the patriots are on Onwenu, Michigan’s sixth spherical election. Belichick raved about Onwenu final week, saying, “He is simply superb every single day.”
8. Troy Browns highlights: Kyle Dugger, who might be added to the combo as a punt and kickoff returner, mentioned it was enjoyable seeing his coach’s highlights – Patriots Corridor of Famer Troy Brown – in movie research. Dugger mentioned Brown would launch his previous film and let him know what he may have completed higher every time he returned. Dugger smiled broadly as he shared a current story about how powerful Brown was on himself whereas criticizing his missteps … he scored a landing on one piece. Dugger mentioned, “I’ve discovered that Troy could be very, very passionate in regards to the sport.”
9. Kraft’s satisfaction: Lengthy-time NFL reporter Gary Myers, who authored the guide Brady vs. Manning, launches a podcast on iHeartRadio this week entitled “The goat: Tom Brady.“It consists of interviews with Brady, Robert Kraft, and Peyton Manning, amongst others, which add to the context of Brady’s 20-year run with the franchise. On the podcast, Kraft says,” My job was to maintain as a lot of the core collectively as potential for so long as I used to be may. I believe holding Invoice and Tom collectively for 20 years was one thing I am very happy with. “And on the notion that Belichick did not need Brady, Kraft says,” I believe it is in all probability getting in two instructions. “
10. Do you know: Thuney, whose transfer to the middle has put him within the highlight a bit brighter, has performed extra offensive snaps than another participant within the NFL since becoming a member of the league in 2016. Thuney has performed 4,702 snaps throughout this time, adopted by Eagles middle Jason Kelce (4,611) and Buccaneers left Donovan Smith (4,537).