In episode 192, astrologers Chris Brennan and Leisa Schaim present a detailed introduction to the old Zodiacal Release Timing technique, which divides your life into chapters and paragraphs and helps identify your life story.
Various Time Lord techniques existed in ancient Hellenistic astrology that were used to determine when the potential of birth certificate placements would be awakened, although many of them have been lost in the transmission of astrology over the past 2000 years.
Zodiacal Release is a Time Lord technique that has been restored over the past two decades through translations of the 2nd century Greek text by astrologer Vettius Valens.
In this episode, Chris and Leisa present a 4-hour workshop on the technology to give the audience a comprehensive overview and introduction to the Zodiacal Release.
Below is a long series of show notes detailing some of the key points we made over the course of the episode.
This episode is available in both audio and video versions. Links to both can be found at the bottom of this page, right after the show notes.
Zodiacal Release Podcast Outline
Here is our rundown of the key points that we addressed in this episode:
- A collection of lost timing systems known as “time lord” techniques.
- Recovered over the past 30 years due to the revival of ancient astrology.
- Many of them were lost in the transmission of astrology for over 2000 years.
- Recovered through translations.
- You are planning to activate latent potentials in the natal chart.
- Not all diagram placements are activated at all times.
- Some rest until they are awakened by these timing techniques.
- Similar to dasa systems in Indian astrology
- The most powerful one found so far is called the Zodiacal Release.
- From the 2nd century astrologer Vettius Valens.
- Divide life into chapters and paragraphs.
- Used to study various topics such as career, health, or relationships.
- Can time career peaks and transitions.
- Periods that are subjectively experienced more positively or negatively.
- Our goal today is to give a broad introduction and overview of the topic.
- One of the most complex techniques, but also one of the most interesting and profound.
- Usually taught by Chris at the end of the Hellenistic Astrology course.
- The complete lecture takes 18 hours.
- The main goal is to introduce the technique to beginners here
- Some additional personal anecdotes that may be useful for advanced users.
Calculation of the zodiac release periods
- First the lot of fortune, spirit and eros must be calculated.
- These are the starting points for the ZR technique.
- Three easy ways:
- Identify the sign each lot will be placed in.
- Start with the lot that corresponds to the topic you want to study.
- The quality of the lot provides the context of the resulting time periods.
- Mind: career, general direction of life, actions
- Happiness: health, accidents, the body, what happens to you.
- Eros: relationships, marriage, love.
- Each sign of the zodiac is assigned a certain number of years:
- Aries and Scorpio: 15
- Taurus and Libra: 8
- Gemini and Virgo: 20
- Cancer: 25
- Leo: 19
- Sagittarius and Pisces: 12
- Capricorn: 27
- Aquarius: 30
- Handout for zodiac release periods
- The sign in which the lot falls will be activated for the number of years assigned to that sign.
- Once those years are up, the next sign in zodiac order will be activated.
- It is called the Zodiacal Release because you release the signifier from its fixed position
- It continues to move in zodiac order as long as the native lives.
- Moves at variable speed, not fixed or constant. Symbolic.
- 360-day years and 30-day months are used for the calculation.
- There are also sub-periods to study shorter periods of time.
- Characters assigned to months instead of years at level 2.
- Each partial period is 1/12 of the general period.
- Four sub-periods.
- Level 3: “weeks” of 2.5 days (1/12 of level 2)
- Level 4: “days” of 5 hours (1/12 of level 3)
- For this purpose, we mainly focus on Level 1 and Level 2
- General periods and first sub-periods
- However, the technique becomes even more impressive when you see it at lower levels.
- When mind and happiness are in the same sign, move the mind forward one sign.
Software programs for calculating the zodiac release
- Zodiacal Release was previously only available in Delphic Oracle.
- ZR is now available in many major astrology programs.
- There are a number of free websites that now calculate the ZR as well:
- The angular signs from the Lot of Fortune are more active and important
- When activated, coincide with periods of increased importance and activity.
- What I call “peak times”
- If you start with Spirit and it comes to angles of fortune, these are career tips
- If you start from eros and it comes to angles of fortune relationship peaks
- Periods of increased importance and activity are not necessarily positive.
- Simply more active and more important.
- Peak times are usually noticeable in a person’s chronology.
- This applies in particular to general periods, but also to partial periods.
- Peak times do not occur in isolation
- The mark that comes before a peak builds up and reaches the top
- The sign after the peak carries over and brings these topics to a close
- This group of three signs is known as the angular triad.
- Term introduced by Schmidt to name something that is implicitly used in ancient astrology.
- You need to think of periods as a sequence with a beginning, a middle, and an end.
Interpret the quality of a period
- The quality of a period is mainly determined by:
- Planets in the activated sign
- Planets looking at the activated sign by square or opposition
- The state of the ruler of the sign.
- I tend to emphasize or look at planets more in the sign than the ruler.
- Other astrologers focus more on the ruler.
- Valens seems to prefer the ruler at first, but focuses on the sign in the examples
- The benefactors and evildoers primarily determine the subjective experience of time.
- When it is subjectively experienced in a more positive or negative way.
- The start lot you release from provides the context.
- It is important to use sect to determine the most positive and negative planets.
- Day ticket: Jupiter most positive planet, Mars most negative planet.
- Night map: Venus the most positive planet, Saturn the most negative.
- The other benefactors and evildoers are more moderate in their inclinations.
- The signs that are angular to the most positive planet are experienced as the most positive
- The signs that are angular to the most negative planet are perceived as the most negative.
- Angle means here in the same sign, square or opposite by sign.
- Character-based aspects of benefactors and malefactors.
- See where most of the positive and negative planets fall into the angular triads.
- Is the most positive planet angular from Fortune or the most negative planet?
- Peak times can be active, but they don’t necessarily have to be perceived as easy or positive.
- Are benefactors activated in the build-up phase or in the cool-down phase?
- Malefics in the build-up phase or in the cool-down phase?
The loss of the bond
- Occurs with some signs that are more than 17 years old.
- In the partial period, the cycle is completed with all 12 characters.
- Instead of starting the cycle again, it jumps to the opposite sign.
- Continues the cycle from the opposite sign.
- This is known as untying or breaking the sequence.
- Always happens about 17½ years in the general period, but at level 2.
- Loosening of the bond can also occur at L3 and L4.
- Always marks a major transition
- In spirit it is an important transition towards career and life
- In Eros a transition in relationships
- Sometimes in happiness there is a transition in body, health or circumstances.
- It is one of the most reliable pieces of technology
- Often very dramatic or remarkable.
- Usually marked with an L or LB in most programs.
- There are different scenarios.
- Premonition period
- The untying is the second time the sign is activated.
- The first activation 8 years ago often offers a preview of the LB.
- Sometimes the person almost does something but doesn’t finish
- When the LB happens, they follow the second time.
- Chris discovered this through working with clients.
- Lots of other things that we can’t go into here.
- There are many other interpretive principles.
- Completion period
- Peak period
- Activate the ruler of the mind
- Activate the general period ruler
- There is no need to go into any of this here.
- Most of this is covered in Chris’ 18-hour talk.
- We address philosophical questions that technology raises several times in the following.
- Share some personal technique experiences.
- Insights / thoughts from use over time
- A number of other points made during the episode have been omitted from this outline.
Learn more about Zodiacal Releasing
If you’re done with this podcast and want to learn more about the release of zodiac signs, here are some more resources:
Check out the video version of this episode:
Here is the video version of this episode of the podcast:
Listen to the audio version of this episode:
You can either play this episode of the podcast directly from the website or download it as an MP3 to your computer by using the buttons below: