Why is the social media phenomenon so important?
Social media serve to build trusting mutual relationships. It’s a very broad approach as opposed to traditional networks which are more targeted and narrower. For example, if you have a LinkedIn profile, website, or blog, people come to you to learn more about you. This is the way you are pull Viewers towards you. Now compare that to the endless junk mail – electronic and otherwise – we all receive push irrelevant information to you.
Social media have many advantages for job seekers because social media
- Can communicate your brand.
- Can demonstrate your technical skills.
- Allow you to build your credibility and trust.
- Can hide liabilities and shortcomings.
- Are platforms for planning personal meetings.
- Are less intimidating.
- Can be used as a screening tool.
- Are very efficient because they work around the clock.
Social media offer job seekers many advantages because of social media
- Enable people to connect whenever they need to and to the extent they want.
- Let people stay connected by staying in the game. Otherwise they are omitted.
- Enable social networks that increase job seekers’ chances but are not a substitute for other job search activities.
- Are a means of entering your own opinions and receiving the opinions of others on similar subjects.
- Create a target list to identify potential employers based on comments from others.
- Help job seekers find people on this target list.
- Make job seekers more visible to recruiters.
- Can lead to reconnection with people from your past.
Social media is rampant these days and it’s only going to grow and become more important. When talking on social media, you can’t ignore your brand. But what is brand when it comes to people? Your own brand is composed of appearance, communication style, online identity, skills, contributions, goals, values and the like. If you don’t have an online identity or brand for recruiters and employers, you just don’t exist.
Of course, Google is the dominant search engine, but there are many others.
The online appearance is measured in terms of quality and quantity. What matters is the relevance of your brand, and that brand can also be outside of the specialist community. It’s also important not to have negative references or mentions like personal information that should be restricted, or opinions or associations that might be controversial, like embarrassing photos. For job seekers, contradictions or outright lies on the resume can be harmful. Also, avoid irrelevant information as it distracts from what is important.