Episode 172 is a Q&A episode with Chris Brennan and Leisa Schaim in which we answer some questions that have been broadcast by listeners to the podcast over the past few months.
We covered a variety of topics in this episode, including famous astrology celebrities, how to hand-compute an astrological map, how an astrologer writes a horoscope column, and what highlights a planet on a map.
We also covered other questions such as how important asteroids are on a map, what makes a choice start, stories of unforeseen consequences of poorly choosing a map, and how to know when you’re ready to give an astrology lecture.
Towards the end of the episode, we answered a series of questions about using entire shieldhouses, and then asked a question about the purpose of astrology, as well as how to deal with difficult map placements.
Below is an overview of the questions covered in this episode, followed by links to the video and audio recordings.
This episode is available in both audio and video versions.
In this episode answered astrological questions
Here is a condensed summary of some of the questions we answered:
- What famous people come to mind when it comes to celebrity recognition of astrology? Who consults / has studied regularly or has spoken about their knowledge?
- How do you calculate an astrological map by hand?
- There has been a lot of discussion about writing horoscopes lately, but you never said how to make a chart for writing horoscopes. So how is a chart made to write a set of horoscopes?
- I hear a lot of references to “if [a given planet] is prominent on your diagram, “but I never get the feeling I understand what that means. Could you explain in more detail?
- How important / accurate are asteroids when reading a birth certificate?
- What exactly is the beginning of elective astrology?
- In relation to conferences, how do you know you are ready to apply for a speech or presentation? Do you need a specific, original breakthrough to think about?
- I was wondering how people with their ancestors in later degrees can reconcile the move to whole sentry houses. I’m really interested in using the full sign system, but struggling to understand the changes in my own natal chart. My ascendant is at 29 degrees Libra and switching to the full sign means literally every planet on my map is now in a new home.
- I’ve noticed the increase in popularity and relocation to whole signage in recent years. I don’t have a fixed view of this system in either case, but would appreciate your and others’ insights into the relationship or interplay (?) Between entire house systems and the role of traditional intercepted house interpretations in chart analysis.
- I’ve been using signs all over the house since I discovered your podcast earlier this year. They work great overall and provide clarity in areas of diagrams that are intercepted in other home systems. However, I’ve experimented and found that entire signhouses don’t seem as effective at reading sun and moon return maps. Are you throwing solar and lunar returns with the entire house system? Have others found similar ones?
- Can you talk about how you both managed to reorientate yourself towards the Whole Sign House system, for example against Placidus or Koch?
- Something I think is often implied but never really discussed enough: what is the purpose of astrology and what role does the astrologer play for his client?
- How do you deal with challenging house placements in the natal chart? For example, is the map ruler in the 12th house? Are there any rules or ways to convey this placement? (Example: Leo rises, sun in the 12th house of Cancer)
Links to the things mentioned in this episode
Here are some links to various things mentioned in different places throughout the episode:
Check out the video version of this Q&A episode
Here is the video version of our Q&A episode:
Listen to the audio version of the Q&A episode
You can either play this episode of the podcast directly from the website or download it as an MP3 to your computer by using the buttons below: