The online chatter of QAnon conspiracy theorists about a plan to storm the Capitol complex on Thursday caused House Democrats to abandon the job – although spokeswoman Nancy Pelosi doesn’t appear scared enough to postpone her weekly press conference.
Despite the Senate, which is also run by Democrats and remains in the hallway in session, as well as 8-foot fences covered with non-scalable barbed wire around the Capitol, the House leadership insisted on painting plans to keep work from “worry”.
What hasn’t been scrapped, however, is Pelosi’s (D-Calif.) Scheduled briefing, which means she’ll almost certainly be physically present on the complex Thursday.
Her rep did not immediately respond to The Post to confirm if and how she was going to keep her weekly presser.
While the House will not conduct official business, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) decided to continue the debate on President Biden’s $ 1.9 trillion COVID-19 aid package as the Panel tries to keep pace with government target adoption by March 14th.
When asked how differently the Senate and House Democrats reacted to the threat, Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), The Senate Majority Whip, acknowledged the “obvious contradiction” when speaking to reporters on Wednesday.
“Both executives work with information they have and draw conclusions from it. And it’s not uncommon for different people to reach different conclusions. I’m not going to question Speaker Pelosi, she’s doing what she thinks is best for the house.
“Obviously Sen. Schumer did not come to the same conclusion at this point,” he said.
When asked about the severity of the threat, Durbin, who also chairs the Justice Committee, said he was not briefed by the FBI or the Justice Department as he would have expected if they considered a serious threat.
“I don’t know if it’s a joke. You know, we were told on Jan 6th that a lot was coming back for Jan 20th and they didn’t show up. I can’t tell. But given what we did On January 6th, understandable people are concerned. “
On Wednesday, the Capitol Police said they were increasing security to prevent a possible attack by “an identified militia group” the next day.
In a statement, the department said it was “aware of and prepared for potential threats to members of Congress or the Capitol Complex.”
“We have received information that shows that an identified militia group may break through the Capitol on Thursday March 4th,” said the statement protecting Congress, the public and our police officers. “
The department added that it is working with local, state and federal law enforcement partners to “stop any threat to the Capitol.”
While the department said it couldn’t elaborate, the March 4 conspiracy in question appears to reference a theory by supporters of QAnon that former President Donald Trump would actually take the oath of office that day.
March 4th was the original inauguration day before the 20th Amendment was passed in 1932.
Last month, the Capitol Police requested that 4,900 soldiers remain in the country’s capital through at least March 12 to cover the notable date on extremist threats.
This request, which was approved, was made amid concerns by supporters of Q who intended to respond in the form of yet another attack on the theory.
The department’s statement on Wednesday also comes amid week-long Congress hearings on the Siege of the Capitol on Jan. 6.
Last week, Congress heard from the Acting Police Chief of the Capitol and the Acting House Sergeant, as well as their predecessors who had resigned after the uprising.
During the official testimony, Acting Capitol Police Chief Yogananda Pittman revealed that intelligence agencies exposed threats from right-wing extremists to blow up the U.S. Capitol when Biden delivered his first joint address to both Houses of Congress.