On episode 144 of the podcast, astrologer Kelly Surtees speaks to the show to talk about a popular timing technique known as secondary progressions, where each day in the life of the indigenous people symbolizes an entire year.
In this episode we talk about how to calculate secondary progressions and how to use technology to identify key turning points and phases in a person’s life.
As the show progresses, we will discuss the interpretation of retrograde stations, advanced aspects, secondary advanced lunation phases, and much more.
Below are the show notes with an overview of some of the points raised in the discussion, followed by links to stream or download the recording of the episode.
This episode is available in both an audio and a video version. Links to both recordings can be found below.
Notes on secondary advances
- Has become one of the most common timing techniques in modern astrology after transits.
- Obviously it only became popular in the last few centuries.
- Holden believed that Kepler was the first to mention it.
- Valens may have mentioned it briefly in the 2nd century.
- Different symbolic ways to move the diagram forward.
- Transits are the actual movements of the planets in the future.
- Profits move the planets forward one mark per year.
- Primary directions advance them via signs rising times.
- Solar Arcs one degree per year.
- Secondary progressions on one day per year
- The sun moves one degree a year
- The moon moves one degree per month (roughly)
- After the natives are born, each day of their life corresponds to a year
- Your first day of life is the same as your first year
- The second day of life is like the second year.
- To find out, go to an ephemeris for your birthday. That is year 0. Day 2 of life = year 1 and so on until you reach your current age.
- Link to Astrodienst online ephemeris
- Basically, you take the live transits from the first few months of birth
- Think of the sign changes or new and full moons that occurred in the first three months of life. These are part of your progress.
- Minor events that occur at the beginning of life become major events later.
- So what are some major transits in the first few months of life?
- Important alignments to consider in the expanded diagram:
- The secondary advanced madness cycle is hugely important
- Especially new moons and full moons as important epochs of life
- Declining and direct stations.
- Planets that are retrograde or directly stationed often signal important turning points in life.
- Also changes in speed in general.
- Exact aspects
- When exactly are the aspects in the birth certificate applied?
- When do secondary advanced planets show positions in the natal chart?
- When do planets change signs?
- SP Sun changes characters at least every 30 years
More information on secondary advances
For more information on secondary advancement, see Kelly’s Prediction With Advances in the Online Astrology Webology Series:
Check out the video version of this episode
Here is the video version of this episode about secondary progressions:
Listen to the audio version of this episode
You can either play this episode of the podcast directly from the website or download it to your computer as an MP3 by using the buttons below: