In episode 108 of the podcast, astrologer Nina Gryphon takes part in the show to talk about her project and create an illustrated commentary on the 146 aphorisms of astrologer Guido Bonatti from the 13th century.
Nina is an astrologer and corporate attorney who practices traditional astrology and specializes in personal, financial, and political forecasting. She recently started a project to produce an illustrated version of Bonatti’s 146 reflections, which is partially crowdfunded through her page on Patreon:
You can find more information about Nina’s work on her website at:
Below are the show notes, followed by links to download or stream the recording of this episode of the podcast.
Sponsors and freebies for May
At the beginning of this episode, I will briefly talk about our sponsorships and freebies for May, which:
- A copy of the popular Solar Fire 9 desktop astrology software program.
- A copy of the astrology mobile app called Astro Gold, which is available for both iPhones and Android devices.
Podcast listeners get 15% off Solar Fire when they use the promo code AP15 when purchasing the program on the Astrolabe website.
For more information about the giveaway and how to enter, see the May description page.
Here are some of the points we made over the course of the episode:
- Who is Guido Bonatti?
- When and where did he live?
- What did he write?
- Why is his work important?
- What are the 146 considerations?
- Discussion of the genre of aphorisms
- Translations of Bonatti’s aphorisms.
- William Lilly & Henry Coley Translation of the Aphorisms
- Anima Astrology or A Guide for Astrologers1676
- More like a paraphrase in which some passages are left out.
- Ben Dyke’s recent translation of the Recommended Aphorisms.
- Do you prefer one or the other translation?
- What makes the aphorisms useful or worthwhile?
- Which are the most striking or convincing?
- Is there one place you feel like it missed the mark or its meaning was unclear?
- Talk about Nina’s project to illustrate and explain the considerations.
- Possible print book in the future?
A full transcript of this episode is available: episode 108 transcript
Check out this episode
You can either play this episode of the podcast directly from the website or download it to your computer as an MP3 by using the buttons below: