In episode 303, astrologers Leisa Schaim and Chris Brennan talk about some tips on how you as a customer can get the most out of an astrological consultation, as well as possible pitfalls that you should avoid.
The topic for this episode was based on a question posted by a listener named Kayley-Rae (@_kr_craft on Instagram):
“I think people would love to hear how to be a good customer in a natal chart consultation. How to prepare What questions to ask? How to help the astrologer. I feel like you’ve talked about how to conduct consultations, but I’m not sure if receiving a consultation is covered. “
Over the course of the episode, we’ll talk about how to choose an astrologer that is right for you, have reasonable expectations for advice, the importance of having a dialogue with the astrologer, and much more.
This episode is available in the following audio and video versions.
Here are the show notes that summarize some of the episode’s main points:
- This is a good topic for both clients and astrologers.
- Things to think about as a customer
- Things to think about as an astrologer when presenting yourself.
- Select astrologer:
- Know what you are looking for and choose a suitable astrologer for you.
- Different astrologers specialize in different things
- Different subject areas (career, relationships, etc.)
- Different astrological approaches (modern, Hellenistic, medieval)
- Different branches (natal, horary, elective, etc.)
- Different house systems
- Different zodiac
- If you’re not sure, you can ask questions before you plan.
- Registration / scheduling
- Different offers – one consultation cannot cover everything
- Make it clear if there are any topics that you would like to focus on.
- Don’t say too little or too much about what you want to discuss
- Astrologers are best prepared when they know what you want to discuss
- Have reasonable expectations
- It’s a conversation versus your entire life experience
- Different perspectives / insights into the diagram
- Some internships can be more or less relevant in different phases of life
- The same placements can have multiple manifestations, especially over time
- You can ask an individual astrologer if preparation would be helpful
- Sometimes looking back on past dates
- Data can be particularly helpful when you are asking about a specific thing
- Expect a dialogue
- Don’t talk too much
- Don’t speak too little
- Do not try to test the astrologer.
- The giving of information is the context for the diagram
- Allows the astrologer to do their job better, not just cold reading.
- Kind of like a doctor’s appointment with only labs and no explanation of symptoms
- Provide feedback so they know if they are on the right track or need to change gears
- It shouldn’t be a passive experience unless previously recorded
- Be open, but be honest if something doesn’t fit
- Let the astrologer use whatever approach they are using
- Do not ask them to change the house system, comment on things they do not use, etc.
- Sometimes you can learn more by being exposed to a new approach.
- Can sometimes be better to lead with questions about life issues or internships
- Sometimes prejudices about supposed meanings get in the way
- Otherwise you will simply not get that much out of the advice
- Expectations of what is possible and what is not, how specific you can be
- Don’t ask many more questions via email afterwards
- Different astrologers may have different guidelines about this
- If it’s very soon after that, and just a clarification, it might be okay
- Otherwise, it may be best to do another session or sit with the current session for a while
- Remember, you will have the recording after that.
- Can always listen to it later.
- Most astrologers offer this.
- Astrologers: Think about how you present yourself
- How can you better describe your services to answer some of these questions?
- To make sure you attract customers who are a match for you.
- Customers: Good idea to see different astrologers
- Expose yourself to different approaches
- Every astrologer will do things differently
- Getting consultations is a good learning experience, even for professionals
- Find out what you liked or didn’t about the experience.
- If you ever do this professionally, what kind of advice would you like to offer?
- The Hermetic Nature of Astrology
- Astrology traditionally ruled by Mercury
- Astrological consultations were always carried out orally
- There is something about the nature of the exchange between the client and astrology that makes something different.
- 50% of astrology learning comes from studying books, while the other 50% only happens when you regularly sit with clients and hear their life story
- The principles come alive in unique, sometimes unexpected ways.
- In this way counseling is always a learning experience for both the client and the astrologer.
- It is a 1st house / 7th house exchange between two parties.
- Make the best out of it.
Check out the video version of this episode
Watch the video version of our episode for an astrological consultation here:
Listen to the audio version of this episode
You can either play the audio version of this episode of the podcast directly from the website or download it as an MP3 to your device by using the buttons below: