The WNBA has officially announced its 25th anniversary season. A year ago, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there was uncertainty about how the season would take place and whether it would end at all. There have been several notable players who signed out or suffered injuries.
The opening night of the league was celebrated on Friday as the NBA and WNBA players expressed their excitement over their arrival to their games.
Before Sabrina Ionescu took advantage of a game-winning 3-pointer, Barclays Center-based comrade-in-arms and Brooklyn Net Kevin Durant praised the New York Liberty. Chris Paul and Deandre Ayton were among the various NBA players who supported their counterparts in the WNBA. The stars of the Phoenix Suns wore the jerseys of the Phoenix Mercury stars Diana Taurasi and Skylar Diggins-Smith. The WNBA’s iconic orange hoodie was also a popular fashion statement from several players.
– NBA on ESPN (@ESPNNBA) May 14, 2021
– Golden State Warriors (@warriors) May 14, 2021
– Brooklyn Networks (@BrooklynNets) May 14, 2021
The @ WNBA is back.
– Los Angeles Lakers (@Lakers) May 14, 2021
The @ WNBA Season starts today!
– Phoenix Suns (@Suns) May 14, 2021
– Washington Mystics (@WashMystics) May 14, 2021
– Cleveland Cavaliers (@cavs) May 14, 2021
Sabrina Ionescu is making her season debut 💜 💛
– ESPN (@espn) May 14, 2021