What are the top tips for booking low cost flights?
We all want Save flights But most of us could use some help and advice to get us started.
You should already know how to compare prices on anything you need from flights, travel insurance, hotels, and more. However, these tips should help.
Follow these tips to book flights and you will get the best deal without a doubt.
Top tips for booking low cost flights
When is the best time to fly?
Did you know that the day of the week you travel can affect the price of your plane ticket? Tuesdays and Wednesdays are usually the best days to fly if you’re looking for a bargain. Fridays and Sundays are the most popular. So expect higher prices on these days. On Saturdays, it depends on the destination as the day is not liked by business travelers but is popular with vacationers with a week long package deal.
Even if you have to travel on a day of high demand, the time of day can make a difference. Evening flights are desired by business travelers. So remember to leave at lunchtime instead. The red-eye overnight flights can have some great deals, as can the early morning flights, especially with low-cost airlines.
When do you book flights?
If you are looking for a budget carrier then this is it The earlier you book, the better. The bargains can be found months before your day of departure as prices rise as availability decreases.
Other airlines will also try to lure you with deals and deals when they first release tickets, so planning ahead is best. If you have a preferred airline, Sign up for their e-newsletter / like them on Facebook / follow them on Twitter, etc., as they often offer subscribers first.
If you don’t plan that far in advance, the other time to get plenty is a few days before departure. Last minute deals are there to try and fill the remaining spaces So if you can be flexible about when to fly, try this option (read all about planning a last minute vacation).
The time of day you look for an online tariff also plays a role as, oddly enough, many have found the cheaper tariffs in the early hours of the morning around 2-3 a.m. Whether it’s in your time zone or the airline’s is not clear, but bargain hunters could try both options.
Related reading: How to find cheap airline tickets with a VPN
Where to book your flight
Online travel aggregators as Expedia are a good place to start as you can compare prices with different airlines and they offer bundled packages with accommodation.
Travel search engines as kayak are considered second generation travel aggregators and offer similar options.
Travel agency They may still be worth talking to as they are travel specialists. Be aware, however, that they may have commission agreements that suit them well, but may not suit you.
Airline websites are the place to go for last minute deals and to get an idea of the routes and prices they can offer.
Find the best flight prices in high season
How do you find cheap flights to popular prime holiday destinations?
Here are some tips:
- Find airports near your destination (For example, Sharjah is an airport that is only a 30 minute drive from Dubai). Sharjah is the hub of Air Arabia (one of the best low-cost airlines in the Middle East). Check out these California airports.
- Keep an eye on airlines, especially national airlines that offer affordable airfares to destinations compared to other airlines.
- Be flexible with travel dates (+/- 2-3 days). There is always the possibility that you will get cheap airfares for flights that depart on weekdays (Monday to Thursday) than on weekends.
- Catch a flight with red eyes (night). While flying in odd hours or avoiding rush hour can be a little tricky, it can take a lot of the strain on your wallet.
- Book in advance (if possible, although I would recommend that you only book flights once your travel plans are confirmed as flight tickets are usually non-refundable).
- Manage your Frequent Flyer Miles to your advantage.
- Using Internet fare tracking tools.