A second woman accused Roberto Alomar of sexual misconduct in 2014, prompting the Toronto Blue Jays to open an investigation into the incidents and the team’s conduct.
The woman, Melissa Verge, alleged in a story published Friday Toronto Star that Alomar suggested her have sex and pushed his body into hers without consent while she volunteered at a Blue Jays youth baseball camp. Verge was then 18 years old; Alomar was 46.
Verge told the star that she told Rob Jack, a then team official and a friend of Alomar’s, what happened. The Blue Jays say Jack did not inform other members of the team or the Human Resources department of the allegations. He was fired from the team a year later.
In a statement to the star, the Blue Jays said they were “worried about Ms. Verge’s 2014 experience with Roberto Alomar and another former employee” and that they hired an outside firm to conduct an investigation after they had been informed by the star of what supposedly happened.
Neither Alomar nor Jack responded to comment, according to the Star.
Major League Baseball added Alomar to its banned list last month after a baseball industry employee alleged sexual misconduct against Alomar in early 2014. An outside law firm conducted the investigation, and MLB found that Alomar, who acted as an advisor to the league, “has violated MLB’s policies and that it is warranted to terminate his advisory contract and add it to the list of banned MLB members. “
MLB didn’t release any further details on the incident, which resulted in the Blue Jays breaking ties with the 12-time All-Star as well.
Verge told the star that the allegations that surfaced publicly last month when MLB announced its Alomar discipline “opened the door for me to share my story”.