Carl Nassib, the defensive end of the Las Vegas Raiders, became the first active NFL player to announce he was gay on Monday. Announced on Instagram, Nassib said, “I’ve wanted to do this for a while, but I’m finally comfortable enough to get it off my chest.”
Raiders owner Mark Davis told ESPN’s Paul Gutierrez after Nassib’s announcement, “It’s 2021. All the more power for Carl. It doesn’t change my opinion of him as a person or as a raider. “
Shortly thereafter, players and teams from across the sports field began to agree with their support from Nassib. Reactions ranged from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to Jason Collins, who became the NBA’s first openly gay player in 2014.
– Julian Edelman (@ Edelman11) June 21, 2021
From Commissioner Goodell: pic.twitter.com/MbgGt6AuGs
– NFL345 (@ NFL345) June 21, 2021
Proud of you, Carl pic.twitter.com/R9aJxYFefW
– Las Vegas Raiders (@Raiders) June 21, 2021
Much respect brudda https://t.co/1G2ewVOWje
– Saquon Barkley (@saquon) June 21, 2021
Very proud of Carl Nassib! Incredibly happy for him and can’t wait to see him play next season! 👏🏾🙌🏾 https://t.co/kFaTF2EIcR
– Jason Collins (@ jasoncollins98) June 21, 2021
Congratulations to Carl Nassib on getting out, this is a big step. I think most players are concerned about whether or not they can play.
– Shawne Merriman (@shawnemerriman) June 21, 2021
Proud to support Carl and his decision to be the first active gay player in the NFL. I hope other sports managers will join me and show their support publicly too! ️🌈 https://t.co/sgiJMccDSE
– Brian Burke (@ Burkie2020) June 21, 2021
The @NFL does not change; LGBTQ + athletes are and always have been a part of every sport. The only thing that changes is the amount of love, acceptance and comfort we feel every day, just being ourselves and being supported by our teammates, coaches and the fans of the game.
– R. K. Russell (@RKRelentless) June 21, 2021
Respect my guy 🤞🏽 https://t.co/KGtOXi3gHd
– Tae Davis (@ Tae_Davis1) June 21, 2021
The ability to live an authentic life is so important.
Representation and visibility are important! ️🌈 https://t.co/E6hSOeIioW
– Billie Jean King (@BillieJeanKing) June 21, 2021
some things are bigger than a rivalry 💙💙 https://t.co/cO8rHtVxip
– Los Angeles Chargers (@Chargers) June 21, 2021
Representation counts. Thank you Carl Nassib for your incredible courage. https://t.co/uOVRdLD3dc
– Gavin Newsom (@GavinNewsom) June 21, 2021
Really proud of Carl Nassib. As the first active footballer ever. I played with several guys who were never comfortable enough to go public. They were great teammates and obviously very talented.
– Warren Moon (@ WMoon1) June 22, 2021
– James Franklin (@coachjfranklin) June 22, 2021