On episode 39 of the show, astrologer Nick Dagan Best speaks to me about the phenomenon known as retrograde Venus, how it is defined, and what it means in the context of astrology.
Nick is a leading expert on retrograde Venus periods, and as the show progresses, he explains how they can be used to time events in natal and world astrology.
We’ll also discuss other topics like the meaning of shadow periods, how to determine if a particular Venus retrograde period coincides with an important event in a person’s life, and a bit about what the current Venus retrograde period means in Virgo / Leo for business.
For more information on Nick, please visit his website at NickDaganBest.com or his new podcast at iloveastrologypodcast.com.
Overview of the show
Below is an overview of some of the different topics we touched on over the course of the show, followed by links to download or stream the recording.
- Venus is currently retrograde today, July 25, 2015.
- Good opportunity to put on a show on retrograde Venus.
- First, what does Venus mean in astrology in general?
- Desire, love, partnership, relationships.
- Money, goods
- Unite and reconcile things
- Social consensus
- What does it mean when a planet is retrograde from an astronomical point of view?
- The planet appears to be moving backwards in the zodiac from our perspective.
- Optical Ilusion.
- Still has symbolic meaning.
- Venus retrograde from an astronomical point of view:
- Happens every 18-19 months or every year and a half.
- That happens when Venus is closest to Earth.
- Goes backwards about 40 days.
- There is a retrograde station (beginning), the lower conjunction with the sun (middle) and the direct station (end).
- Shadow periods lengthen the broader retrograde period
- Venus begins to slow long before it goes retrograde, and it takes a while to regain its full speed after being stationed directly.
- Events and circumstances surrounding the retro seem to develop once Venus passes the degree to which it will later recede when stationed directly. This is the pre-retrograde shadow period.
- Things are not fully packaged until they have reached the level where they were retrograde. This is the post-retrograde shadow.
- Each shadow period is approximately 30 days.
- Thus the full retro cycle is approximately a 100 day period.
- Venus retrograde within the framework of the zodiac:
- Venus is now stationing retro at 0 ° Virgo.
- Venus stations in roughly the same place in the zodiac retrograde every 8 years.
- Minus 2 degrees.
- Eight years ago, at the end of July 2007, Retro was stationed at 2 ° Jungfrau.
- 8 years earlier, in 1999, Retro stationed at 4 ° Jungfrau etc.
- This connects periods at 8-year intervals.
- This is actually the last Virgo retro in our lives.
- Since Venus is retrograde every year and a half, it does so in 5 places in the zodiac, thus forming a pentagram or a five-sided star.
- What does Venus mean retrograde astrologically?
- Retrograde motion is some kind of anomaly, and therefore something anomalous about what the planet normally means is occurring.
- Is it an intensification or a reversal? Both?
- It has meaning in both worldly astrology and birth.
- In secular astrology, Nick associates Venus with “consensus,” and the retrograde phase corresponds to periods when a public consensus for review or revision emerges. Lines are drawn, people cross lines or try to redraw them.
- How is this applied to natal charts in practice?
- Predictions versus customer work. Same or different?
- It really comes down to identifying diagrams that are sensitive to them and seeing how they connect key periods of time in your life, sometimes with similar themes.
- Be able to spot nativity scenes that do not have retrograde Venus but that an astrologer knows are still “vulnerable” or “responsive” to recurrent retrograde transits.
- Some example diagrams.
- What makes a diagram more receptive to one or the other Venus retro?
- Angle in one of the five “zones” in which stations take place.
- Lights or planet clusters in one of the five “zones”
- Libra ascendant
- Some tips for further study and use of Venus retrograde:
- Make a note of the cycles so that when you look at a chart you can immediately get an idea of where the transits meet that person’s natal chart.
- Be careful what happens during the build-up and initial stages of the shadow period and retrograde phase, as you may see a return to these issues later when Venus returns to this location.
- When you know the dates of birth of people in your life, pay attention to those with retrograde birth Venus and how their life affects your life during that time.
A full transcript of this episode is available here: Transcript of Episode 39
Check out the video version
Update June 10th, 2020: This episode was recorded before I started making video versions of each episode on a regular basis, although I re-released an audio version on YouTube on May 13, 2020 for those who would rather subscribe or listen to the podcast on YouTube:
Listen to the audio version of this episode
You can either play this episode of the podcast directly from the website or download it as an MP3 to your computer using the following buttons: